Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hurricane Sandy is a B@tch!

In Florida we get pelted by hurricanes all the time, to the point where we get numb to hurricanes. Unless it is a category 4 or higher, I barely flinch.

I don't board up windows, I don't buy hurricane supplies.

Every year there are about three or four that are supposed to come close and never do. I guess it is better safe than sorry when trying to predict the route of these things.

I get it. I really do.

But as I listened to the news about Sandy and her route along the eastern seaboard, I tuned out. Another hurricane. Another attempt to sell stories. Except this time, it really is a MASSIVE storm. From what I can discern, the largest storm to ever hit the U.S. It is a merger of three large storms.

The Perfect Storm?



Maybe I am late to the party on this story. But I think the blame really sits with the media on stories like this. They sensationalize even the smallest storm. Each one seems to be the "craziest" storm for some reason or another. When the real crazy storm comes along, I am already tuned out.

I have heard the story before.

It is never as bad as it seems...until it is.

I wish that responsible journalism existed, perhaps so I wouldn't have to be a responsible consumer of whatever passes as journalism these days. In any case, this storm really is something to see. The satellite image says it all.


1 comment:

  1. I was extremely worried it was going to get really bad where I am, as was the boyfriend. He asked me to pack up the kids and stay with him because his house is sturdier than mine. Well, we lost power, but for long. And I only went through a couple towns without power on our way back from Franklin. I can say based on what I saw that last year's Irene did more damage.

    ReplyDelete