Thursday, April 7, 2011

Book Cover Concept


These are two dueling concepts my cover art team are putting together for me.  Some really solid work by artist  Jesse Horst.  Check some of his other work here.  Jesse and his partner on this project, graphic design artist Joey Zgoda, from Zgoda Design have really been genius in their adaptation of my original concept.

They have the landmark Shea's Theater in the background and have silhouetted my protagonist, Rafael Rontego, on the cover.  A bit of blood splatter hits the bottom of the cover, and I like the overall effect.  Now I just need to settle on a title to see what it will ultimately look like.

The art team has a few more ideas they are putting together, then we will pick which one looks the best, and go from there.  Really fun and exciting stuff.

12 comments:

  1. I like the second one for sure! The first one just doesn't look finished.

    Haha, we were both eachother's 48th follower! We are the 48ers!

    Angeline Kace

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was doing NaNo last year (and by "doing" I mean failing miserably!) a friend of mine did my cover art. It was so exciting! Your's look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. It's really morbid and depressing but I think that's what you were going for right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The right one seems more polished, but I think it's because of the lettering. I really think they are good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, mafia stories based around revenge don't get sunshine and flowers..though that might be MORE morbid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like the 'for nothing' one; 'buffalo soldiers' sounds more like a Western to me. Which would confuse me because I don't see a horse or cowboy on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Paul. I like the "NY Mafia" part under the title. Adds a little extra to the cover, so it looks less blank.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the left one best. It's simple. The right one has too many words and takes away the overall effect of the cover art. I prefer the lettering on the left for the author as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all the input guys, its really awesome to come back and read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went back and forth on which I prefer. The second one won out.

    (Be on the lookout for an email from me.) - Nikki

    ReplyDelete